Episode 38: Radiometric Dating Explained, Part 1
Recap: Overview episode of radiometric dating via an interview with geologist Rachael Acks. We discuss the history, the how, and the why of radiometric dating as well as some of the caveats of issues with the method and cases where it can not work.
- Follow Rachael on her blog (Not necessarily SFW) or on Twitter.
- Additional Resources
- Basics of radiometric dating at Wikipedia, and a detailed discussion there of radiocarbon dating.
- Brief geologic timescale via radiometric dating explained by USGS.
- More of a mathematical explanation that goes into great depth on isochrons - the method where you can determine if any daughter isotopes were present within a sample when it formed, and hence take that into account when calculating ages.
- Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective (old-Earth)
- Talk Origins:
- Relevant Posts on my "Exposing PseudoAstronomy" Blog
As this was an interview, no transcript is available. However, in the Additional Resources section above, I link to sites that discuss much of what we did in this episode, and the links go into greater depth.
Provide Your Comments:
No comments have been provided.